How to Add Navigation to X3
The BMW X3 is a smaller sized SUV; it is the “little cousin” to the company’s larger X5. The X3 is available with factory installed navigation. If your X3 does not have the pre-installed BMW navigation system but you still wish to add navigation to your car you have two options: use an aftermarket external dash mount GPS or an in-dash system. Install the in-dash yourself if you are technically savvy, or have it installed at a BMW service center. If you install it yourself, however, be aware that you may void the BMW warranty.
Above Dash Option
1. Write down what features you want for your GPS system. For example, if you live in a hand’s free state and wish to make calls while driving, you may want to get a GPS with Bluetooth cell-phone syncing capabilities. Select a suitable GPS navigation device for your purposes.
2. Wash off the section of the dash board where the GPS is mounted. Use a little rubbing alcohol and a rag to clean the area of grit and grime. Mount the holding bracket to the location.
3. Plug the GPS device into the power outlet — or cigarette lighter — in the X3.
1. Select the Navigation options you wish for your device. The X3 is equipped to take navigation touch screens up to 7 inches in width should your needs include the touch screen functions.
2. Purchase the navigation system from the source of your choice. Make an appointment with a certified BMW service center to have the GPS system installed. Failure to have a certified BMW mechanic or service center do the installation may void the BMW warranty.
3. Bring the X3 to the center for the installation appointment.